Am I a Carer?

Am I a Carer? image logo
A Carer is someone who looks after a friend or relative who cannot manage at home without the Carers help. Many people are employed to provide paid formal care, but when we talk about Carers here, we mean those who provide unpaid and informal care for a friend or relative. It is usually someone close to them, for example a child, spouse or parent, or neighbour.

You could be a Carer if you look after someone. The Department of Health classifies a Carer as someone who:

"spends a significant proportion of their life providing unpaid support to family or potentially friends. This could be caring for a relative, partner or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or substance misuse problems"

There are many sources of help for you as a Carer locally and nationally. You can also ask your social worker or health professional about what support they can provide too. Otherwise contact the Carers Centre and we can put you in touch with other relevant services.

One in eight of us will become a Carer in our lives, indeed there are over 24,000 people caring in Tameside now according to the Census 2011. Looking after another person can be tiring and emotional, but many Carers struggle alone for a long time before realising help is available

The Carers Centre in Hyde is a dedicated resource where people who provide informal unpaid care can get help and advice to make life easier for them and the person they care for. They do this by means of an assessment, which is a chat about your circumstances and needs. All Carers can contact the Carers Centre to ensure they are kept up to date for the best help and advice available.
Call the Carers Centre on 0161 342 3344 alternatively, drop into the Carers Centre between 11am and 2pm Monday to Friday:-

Tameside One
Market Place
OL6 6BH 

Carers's Assessment -Care Act 2014

Carers's Assessment -Care Act 2014 image logo
Where an individual provides or intends to provide care for another adult and it appears the carer may have any level of needs for support, the Council must carry out a carer's assessment. The Council will assess whether the carer has needs and what those needs may be.

The assessment considers the impact of caring on the carer. It will also consider the things that a carer wants to achieve in their own day-to-day life.

The Council will also consider other important issues such as whether the carer is able or willing to carry on caring, whether they work or want to work, whether they want to study or do more socially. If both the carer and the person they care for agree, a combined assessment of both their needs can be undertaken
When the assessment is complete, the Council must decide whether the carer's needs are "eligible" for support from the Council.
Whether you are an existing or new Carer you will find yourself in one of the following positions;

I am new to caring and have never had an assessment / I am an existing Carer but I have never had an assessment.

You can have an assessment carried out by staff from the Carers Centre. You may also have a joint assessment with the person you care for by their social worker or assessor. If you would rather have a joint assessment – contact their social worker and they can arrange for this.

For assessments that we provide, this will take place with a friendly and experienced Wellbeing Advisor. You can book your assessment to take place at the Carers Centre or one of our hubs or in difficult circumstances in your own home.

The advisors will ask you some questions about your circumstances such as what kind of tasks you carry out to support the person for example with personal care, bathing and dressing, shopping making their food and even feeding, how much decision making and support around home and finances you make for them. They may also ask you about your living and working arrangements, how many hours care you provide and so on. Essentially the Advisor will be establishing how the role of caring you do impacts on your life and situation.

This is to establish what particular types of help you can get and what advice we can give you. The Wellbeing Advisor can give you advice and information on the various services, support groups and more that you can access. They can also refer you onto other people who can help you, such as benefits advice, or handyman services or tell you about other services you were unaware of.

I would like to book my assessment

Call 0161 342 3344 or drop into The Carers Centre to arrange an assessment during office hours, We are at Tameside One, Market Place, Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside, OL6 6BH Drop in times Monday to Friday 11am until 2pm.

I am an existing Carer but I am not sure if my assessment is up to date?

If you think or know your assessment is overdue (a Re-assessment is done every 12 months) call us to check. We will book an appointment for you.

If you have a joint assessment with the person you care for by a social worker, they will arrange this themselves.

I am an existing Carer and have had an assessment of my needs within the last 12 months.

If your assessment is up to date you can still come to us any time with additional queries or questions. You can phone or call into the centre. If you are unsure when you are due for a review or re-assessment, just ask.

I am an existing Carer and do not want an assessment

There are many reasons why an existing Carer may not have had an assessment. For some people, caring is a matter of pride and accepting help can feel like ‘admitting defeat'. This is certainly not the case. With or without support, caring is very demanding. Accepting help is not a sign of weakness; sometimes it is just the sensible option.

Ultimately, whether to have an assessment or not is your choice, but if you do decide to skip it you could be missing out on help not just for you, but for the person you care about. It's worth keeping in mind that you do not have to take up any of the help and support that is offered as a result of the assessment, but it is better to know what is available and turn it down, than to not know what is there at all. You are welcome to come in for an assessment if you change your mind.

My circumstances have changed. I need to be reassessed.

If your situation has drastically changed you can come for a reassessment at any time. Just contact the Carer's Centre or your social worker and we will be happy to book you in.
Introduction to the Care Act for Carers

The Carers Centre

The Carers Centre is a free resource for all unpaid informal Carers in Tameside. Experienced Wellbeing Advisors are available to listen to your situation and find the best support for you and the person you care for.

Make sure you don't miss out on help and advice by letting us know you are a Carer!

  •  You have a legal right to a Carer's Assessment. It's just a chat with an advisor to find the best support for you and the person you care for. This can be arranged with the Carers Centre in Ashton

  • Caring can affect your mental health. Depression is common in Carers for obvious reasons, but there are techniques you can use to stay feeling strong and positive.

  • Caring can impact on your physical health. Looking after yourself may be hard- but it is important to eat, sleep and be physically well.

  • Being a Carer can sometimes mean that you cannot work or do other things you want to do. You might be able to get information about how you can get a break or get onto training or financial help.

  • If you are working, Carers have rights at work. It helps to know what your employer's obligations are just in case they aren't supportive.

  • Caring can be isolating, but you're not alone. There are many support groups, for you and the person you care for.

  • There are advice and support services who can help with some of the practical things you might need when looking after someone.

  • There are national Carers organisations that give a wealth of advice. Visit Carers UK and Carers Trust to find out more.

  • Nobody wants to think about the time when their caring responsibilities end, but there are things that have to be done. Being prepared could leave you with the space to grieve when the time comes.

Call the Carers Centre on 0161 342 3344 to speak to an Advisor, or book an appointment for an assessment and we can give you some advice and guidance about any of the issues or things described in a safe confidential and supportive environment.

Alternatively, drop into the Carers Centre between 11am and 2pm Monday to Friday:-

Tameside One
Market Place
OL6 6BH    

About the Person you Care For

As a Carer you may need information about the person you care for sometimes.

Parent Carer

By Parent Carer we mean a parent of a disabled child. Parents will often see themselves as parents rather than Carers, but their child will have additional care needs and may be entitled to additional services.

Young Carers

This means Carers who are under the age of 18. The person receiving care is often a parent but can be a brother or sister, grandparent or other relative who needs support. There are estimated to be between 20,000 and 50,000 plus young Carers in the UK.

Adult Services  can provide help and support for individuals and families in the community to live independent lives. There are many people who use our services including families, older people, carers, people with learning, physical or sensory disabilities and people with mental health issues

If you care for a disabled child your needs will be considered as part of an assessment of needs of your child and family.

If you care for an adult you can have a Carers assessment to discuss the help that you need. This can happen even if the person you care for refuses help. You should also be able to contribute to the discussion of the needs of the person you care for
Further Information about Assessments and Support Planning

Wider Services to Carers in Tameside

There are a range of services which can support Carers. This list is not exhaustive however you might come across something new which can help you.

Please click on the links -there is a wide range of information which can support and help you.
GMFRS then search for 'Carers'
NHS Tameside and Glossop

Social Groups and Getting Out

Caring for someone can be very isolating. Carers Support Groups can help Carers:-

  • Cope with caring responsibilities

  • Meet other Carers in similar situations

  • Alleviate some of the isolation felt by Carers

There are a range of support groups around the borough that can help Carers to seek practical and emotional support and up-to-date information.

Support Groups available in Tameside range from specific groups for Carers or those provided by a group specifically around an illness or disability.

Please contact the Carers Centre for details of local support groups.
Tameside One
Market Place
Telephone: 0161 342 3344
Carers Page